Monday, September 8

Today is Monday, and Week 2 of the class is now over. Monday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Week 3 will begin tomorrow - and those Week 3 assignments are available now if you want to get started. The Week 4 assignments are also available now, too! (For those of you who are working ahead, Week 5 will be available starting on Tuesday.)

Monday: last day to drop. Today, Monday, is the last day to drop a class and get a full refund. For more information about the academic calendar, visit the Admissions and Records Calendar: Fall 2008.

Weekend email. If you sent me an email over the weekend, you should now have received a reply (except for the Storybook assignment emails; for that, see the next announcement). If you were expecting a reply, and didn't receive one, please send the email again - especially in the first weeks of the semester, I get a TON of email over the weekend, and something may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I'm online all day today, Monday, to answer any questions you have and should be able to reply quickly to any email.

Storybook stack. As always on Monday, I will have a huge bunch of assignments in the Storybook stack that were turned in over the weekend or on Monday morning. The first thing I will do on Monday morning when I get to work is to update the list of items in the Storybook stack. So, after 8 a.m. or so on Monday, you will be able to check the contents of the stack to make sure I received your assignment. I will then start reading the assignments in the order they were turned in. Please do not go on to the Week 3 Storybook assignment until you get Week 2 comments back from me (and the same is true for those of you who have turned in Week 3 or Week 4 assignments - please do not go on to the next Storybook assignment until you get my comments).

Late Storybook assignments. Each week, the Storybook assignment is the only assignment that can be turned in late for partial credit. Since I cannot get all the Storybooks graded and returned immediately, it is fine with me if you turn in the Storybook late. A Storybook assignment turned in on Monday after noon can receive up to 9 points credit; if it is turned in on Tuesday, you can get up to 8 points of credit, up to 7 points on Wednesday and up to 6 points on Thursday. The absolute deadline for turning your Storybook assignment for partial credit is noon on Friday, when you can get up to 5 points of partial credit.

September 8: Star Trek begins. Yes, today is a great day in the history of television - it marks the broadcast of the first episode of the original Star Trek series in 1966, a series which ran for three seasons until June 3, 1969. My devotion to Star Trek began in 1972, when the show was in reruns and I was able to watch every afternoon when I came home from school (I was in third grade). I have never lost my love of that show and I can shamelessly confess to owning the complete original series on DVD. Anyway, it was a breakthrough show for television in so many ways, and if you're interested in catching some of the spirit of the old show, I highly recommend the 1986 movie, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, a wonderful feature film written and directed by Leonard Nimoy, who plays Mr. Spock, the one with pointy ears here in this cast photo from the original series: