Thursday, August 22

Today is Thursday of Week 1, and here is a link to the Orientation Week assignments. I hope you will enjoy learning about "growth mindset" today, and you'll also be writing your Introduction blog post.

Class Procedures and Reminders

Class Directory. Now that everybody has their blog up and running, I've updated the Class Directory. Please check to see if I've listed you properly and linked to the right blog. Also, it is fine with me if you want to just use your initials or to use a pseudonym in this class (pseudonyms can be fun!). If you want me to adjust the Directory accordingly, let me know.

Please ask questions! You should feel free to contact me with questions at any time, and if I happen to be online, I will write you back right away. If not, I will get back to you when I am next online, usually the next morning. Asking questions is how you learn... and it helps me know what things I need to explain more clearly about the class. So, no need to apologize at all: if you have a question, just ask!

Good news about the Gradebook labels. It looks like I once again have the power to remove Missing and Late labels manually from the Gradebook! So, you may see Missing and Late labels appear, but please just ignore them; I'll try to remember to clean up the Gradebook once each week to remove them. I wish I could prevent the labels from appearing, but at least now I can remove them!

Week 2 Commenting. For the Week 2 blog comments, you will be leaving comments on each other's Introductions, and some people are already working ahead and have started commenting, which is great. Meanwhile, I am continuing to read and reply to the Favorite Places posts (I hope to finish those today or tomorrow), and then I will start commenting on Introduction posts also. It is really exciting to see the range of interests and backgrounds and majors in these classes!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Blog Stream. From Marshall's favorite place post, here's Lake Agnes in Minnesota:


Twitter Stream. Here's something for the "dog days of summer" from the Smithsonian Libraries:


Story of the Day. Today's story is about a traditional African trickster, the tortoise, and why the elephant's eyes are so small: The Elephant and the Tortoise. (It's a story from Nigeria.)


Indian Epics Today. The character for today is the goddess Lakshmi, who is the goddess of prosperity. Find out more here: Lakshmi.


Here is a video about Lakshmi from the Epified YouTube channel:


Storybooks. And here is a Storybook about Lakshmi from Indian Epics last semester: Lives of Lakshmi - A Hero of Her Own.


Myth-Folklore Video. And speaking of goddesses, here's a Crash Course video: Great Goddesses.


Words. Today's word from mythology comes from a goddess, Harmonia, the Greek goddess who is the personification of music and also of harmony in a metaphorical sense, the harmony of concord and peace.


H.E.A.R.T.. And speaking of peace, one way to cultivate peace is to use your inner pause button: Practice the Pause.


Mindset Cats. Since you will be learning about growth mindset today, I can now start sharing a growth mindset cat each day in the announcements. Today's cat knows all about the pause button: Take some time to reflect.


HEART Video. And if you want to expand your mind as you pause and reflect, here is the amazing Alan Watts, with music from Hans Zimmer: Life from Above.


Event on Campus. Come join in some international fun at Game Night tonight at the College of International Studies in Farzaneh Hall, DLB Lounge, 6-8PM (details).


August 22: Ray Bradbury. Today marks the birthday of the great American writer, Ray Bradbury, who was born on this day in 1920; he died in 2012. I recently re-read his book The Martian Chronicles and was amazed by the wild creativity of this project — I had not read the book since junior high school, and I am so glad that I read it again. Here is the cover of the first edition of Martian Chronicles as published in 1950:


This is a quote from another book by Ray Bradbury, Farenheit 451The problem in our country isn't with books being banned, but with people no longer reading. You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.




Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.