Friday, February 19

HAPPY FRIDAY and HELLO, WEEKEND! Hopefully today will get above freezing in Norman, with things looking even warmer and better for the weekend. Here  is a link to Week 4 and also a link to Week 5 ... some of you took this past week off, some of you are taking Week 5 off, and some of you are just working on through; you can decide how to make the best use of the break week based on your schedule. More break information here

Class Procedures and Reminders

Project Stack. I've replied to all the Week 3 assignments that were in the stack, and now I'll reply to as many of the Week 4 (and beyond) assignments that I can today. As always, you can check the stack to make sure I received your project. 

Project schedule. Everybody will eventually be on their own project schedule based on the type of project you are doing, what weeks you do (or don't) turn in a project assignment, etc. To figure out what to turn in next, always start with the last email I sent you about your project; it should have the link you need in it. If you are not sure or if you ever need me to send you the project comments email again, just let me know!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Instead of the blog stream today, I want to highlight the project websites that people have already created! There are 17 projects now across both classes, so I was able to create the project listings and slideshow. You can see the combined slideshow in the sidebar of this blog, and below are the slideshows for each class. I'll keep updating these in the coming weeks.

You can see the list of Myth-Folklore projects at the class project page:


You can see the list of Indian Epics projects at the class project page:


Twitter stream. I am a huge fan of Norman mayor Breea Clark, and here's something from her Twitter about her Facebook live story time:


If you're looking for a way to reduce stress, you can try listening-to-panda.


There's always lovely art from India at Twitter, like this Persian translation of the life of Krishna:


From my friend Legonium, a Minotaur etymology:


This is actually something I posted at Twitter; my husband got me a super-adorable new coffee mug: I really do need all these books.


And Grant Snider shared this cartoon for when things get rough... as they continue to be in 2021: Against Despair (larger view).


February 19: Ohíyesa. Today is the birthday of Charles Eastman, known also by his Dakota name, Ohíyesa; he was born in 1858. Eastman was the first Native American to receive a medical degree, and in his work as a doctor he treated the victims of the Wounded Knee Massacre in 1890. You can find out more about Eastman at Wikipedia; this photograph shows Eastman in 1897:


He wrote many books, including Wigwam Evenings, a collection of Sioux folktales, which he wrote together with his wife, Elaine Eastman; more of Eastman's books online here.


Adam Beach played the role of Ohíyesa in the film Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (trailer below). 



Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.