Thursday, April 22

Today is Thursday of Week 13. Here is a link to Week 13 and also to Week 14 if you're working ahead... which I highly recommend, especially if you are nearing your goal for the end of the class!

Class Procedures and Reminders

My schedule today. I'll be away from my office for most of the morning and early afternoon, so that means I'll be slow to reply to any emails during that time, but I should be back at work in the later afternoon. :-)

Storytelling! Week 13 is a storytelling week, which means that for many of you today is storytelling day... and for at least some of you this may be your last story for the semester: I hope you will feel inspired and have fun! (In Weeks 14 and 15, there's the Story Lab or the story option for both of those weeks coming up.)

Project Stack. If you turned in your project before 6PM on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now, and I'll keep working on the Sunday projects today. You can always check the stack to make sure I received your project form.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Blog stream. I always enjoy seeing Wikipedia Trails, and here is what Preston found starting from Moche Culture which took him to Peru: Wikipedia Trail from Moche to Marinera. This is the city of Trujillo in Peru on the Moche River:


Twitter stream. Something ULTRA-HILARIOUS from Twitter: "women yelling at cat" meme... in Greek style!


And so much beautiful art for Ramanavami yesterday:


From a Google expert at Twitter, Alice Keeler, news of a Google experiment: song-maker.


To inspire your writing, a cartoon from another one of my favorite cartoonists, Dave Coverly, a.k.a. Speedbump.


Something soothing and beautiful from YouTube: 10 Hours of Relaxing Oceanscapes.


April 22: Earth Day. Today is Earth Day, a holiday that has been observed on April 22 since back in 1970. You can read about this holiday in Wikipedia. Perhaps take an Earth Day Quiz.


For this class, we've saved some paper. Based on the amount of writing and number of students, I would estimate that we have saved about 9000 pages, or 18 reams of paper, this semester. So, by working online like this, we have saved a tree! You can follow all the #EarthDay news at Twitter.


One of the most famous movements in defense of trees is the Chipko Movement in India. Find out more about Chipko at Wikipedia. Here they are defending trees in 1973:


And here's a Maati Baani video in defense of the Aarey Forest in Mumbai:



Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.