Monday, October 27

Today is Monday. Week 9 of the class is now over. Monday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Week 10 will begin tomorrow - and those assignments are available now if you want to get started. The Week 11 assignments are also available now, too! (Week 12 will be available tomorrow.)

My schedule this week. This week, I will be out of town on Thursday and Friday, October 30 and 31, with limited email access at best. So, if you want to get comments back on a Storybook assignment this week, please make sure you get your Storybook turned in on Monday or Tuesday. That way, I can return comments to you on Wednesday. You will still be able to turn in a late Week 9 assignment for partial credit on Wednesday or Thursday or Friday morning as usual - but I will probably not be able to get comments back to you until next week. So, if you don't want to wait on comments back from me, make sure you get your Storybook assignment turned in today, Monday, or on Tuesday at the latest.

Storybook stack. As always on Monday, I will have a huge bunch of assignments in the Storybook stack that were turned in over the weekend or on Monday morning. There were some serious problems with my OU email account over the weekend, so I would urge everyone to check on Monday to make sure I received any assignment you submitted via email. So, please, check the contents of the stack to make sure I received your assignment. I will be reading and replying to the assignments in the order they were turned in.

October 27: Birthday of Erasmus. Today marks the birthday in the year 1466 of the Desiderius Erasmus, one of the greatest scholars of the Renaissance. You can read about Erasmus's remarkable life and career in this Wikipedia article. Of all the great thinkers and scholars in the history of the world, Erasmus is my own personal hero. One of his books in particular has been very important in my own life - a huge collection of thousands and thousands of Latin proverbs, with little essays about each one, called the Adagia. Erasmus is also one of the most important figures in the history of critical editions of the Bible in Greek and in Latin. Below is a famous portrait of Erasmus by Hans Holbein the Younger; along the edge of the book facing the viewer the letters read "The Labors of Heracles" in Greek (ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΙ ΠΟΝΟΙ = HERAKLEIOI PONOI), alluding to the amazing feats which Erasmus accomplished in his life as a scholar.