Wednesday, October 8

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 7 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 6 Storybook assignment yet (adding your first story), you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment on or before 10PM on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in late Sunday night or on Monday or Tuesday, your assignment is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. If you want to check to make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here.

My Wednesday schedule. I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays. That means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails on Wednesday than on the other days of the week - but if you send me an email during the day on Wednesday, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

FRIDAY: Desire2Learn maintenance. On Friday, October 10, from 7AM until 9:30AM the Desire2Learn website will be unavailable due to schedule maintenance on the system. Since there are no assignments due on Friday, I have not made any adjustments to the schedule - but for those of you who have gotten in the habit of using the grace period to complete your Thursday assignments, you should be aware of this scheduled D2L outage on Friday morning, from 7AM until 9:30AM. For more information check the OU IT Alerts page at alerts.ou.edu.

October 8: Eve of Yom Kippur. At sunset tonight, October 8, the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, the "Day of Atonement," will begin. (The holiday is based on a lunar calendar; this year the holiday lasts from the sunset of October 8 until sunset on October 9, and next year it will be observed on September 27-28.) Yom Kippur is the last day of the holidays marking the Ten Days of Repentance which began on New Year's Day, or Rosh Hashanah. You can read more about Yom Kippur in this detailed Wikipedia article, which is also the source for the image shown below: Jews Praying in the Synagogue on Yom Kippur, a painting by Maurycy Gottlieb (1878).