Wednesday, November 5

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 11 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 10 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

Final Storybook assignments. For those of you who have been working ahead on your Storybooks, I wanted to let you know that in addition to the Week 13 assignment, I have also made the Week 14 and Week 15 Storybook assignment instructions available now, too. These are all revision assignments and you may find that they go quite quickly for you, so if you want to finish up your Storybook now in order to get those points recorded in the Gradebook, please feel free to work more than the usual two weeks ahead.

My Wednesday schedule. I'm back to my usual schedule this week, doing most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays. That means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails on Wednesday than on the other days of the week - but if you send me an email during the day on Wednesday, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

Storybook Stack. There are still some Storybook assignments in the stack and I am making my way through them in the order that they were turned in. If you turned something in before 3PM on Sunday, you should have comments back from me already. If you turned something in later on Sunday, or on Monday or Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack. If you want to check and make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here.

Grading and the end of the semester. Please make sure you read Monday's announcements, if you have not done so already - you will find important information there about grading in this class, along with information about the end of the semester and about Thanksgiving break.

Roadsign in Wales and Welsh translation. I thought I would share with you all this wonderful translating mistake that happened in Wales, where the roadsigns are supposed to be both in English and in Welsh. You can see the sign below, which indeed has one part in English, and another part in Welsh - the problem being that the Welsh part of the sign reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated." What happened was that someone had sent an email to a translator and got the translator's out-of-office email reply in Welsh... and thought that was the requested translation! You can read about some more Welsh mishaps in this BBC article, which is where I found this photo of the sign: