Monday, January 26

Today is Monday, and Week 1 of the class is now over. Monday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the Week 1 assignments that were due on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Week 2 will begin tomorrow - and it will be the real start of the class, focusing now on the content of what you will be studying all this semester. In addition, the Week 3 assignments are available too, if you want to really get ahead of the schedule. (For those of you who are already working ahead, Week 4 will be available starting on Tuesday.)

Monday morning: emails ANSWERED. As you can imagine, my email inbox is very full on Monday morning. I have now replied to all the emails that came in - NOT counting the Storybook assignments (see below) - so you should have an answer from me to any email you sent me this weekend. If not, please check with me about that! OU email is notorious for putting important emails into people's Junk Mail Folders, for example, and all kinds of other problems that sometimes interfere with the email - so, if you were expecting to get a reply from me and have not gotten one yet, please let me know! I will now start in on the big stack of Storybook assignments, working through those in the order that they were turned in.

Storybook stack. As always on Monday, I will have a huge bunch of assignments in the Storybook stack that were turned in over the weekend or on Monday morning - the Week 1 Storybook assignments from Myth-Folklore and World Lit., plus early Week 2 and Week 3 assignments from all three classes. The first thing I will do on Monday morning when I get to work is to update the list of items in the Storybook stack. So, after 8 a.m. or so on Monday, you will be able to check the contents of the stack to make sure I received your assignment. I will then start reading the assignments in the order they were turned in. For those of you who are working ahead: please do not go on to the Week 3 Storybook assignment until you get Week 2 comments back from me. Thanks for your patience with that!

January 26: Republic Day honors Sundarlal Bahuguna. On this day in 1950, the Indian Constitution came into force, making India officially a "Republic," and so January 26 is celebrated as "Republic Day" in India. You can read more about the holiday at Wikipedia. Each year on Indian Republic Day, heroes of the nation are celebrated and one of the heroes being celebrated this year is the environmental activist, Sundarlal Bahuguna, a member of the Chipko movement fighting to preserve the forests in the Himalayas. The image shows Sundarlal Bahuguna standing in front of a painting that depicts his meeting with the Dalai Lama (source):