Wednesday, January 28

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 2 of the class. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday. For those of you who are working ahead, both Week 3 and Week 4 are available at this time!

Continuing bad weather in Norman. I'm sure you have all received the email announcement that campus will be closed again on Wednesday. If you do have to be out and about for some other reason on Wednesday, please be careful! One of the things I like about teaching online courses is that it does not require you to leave the warmth and comfort of your home during the treacherous winter weather. Be safe!

My Wednesday schedule. I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays. That means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails on Wednesday than on the other days of the week - but if you send me an email during the day on Wednesday, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in a Week 1 assignment (Myth-Folklore and World Lit), you should have comments back from me now. For those of you who have turned in an early Storybook assignment for Week 2 or Week 3 or Week 4, your assignment might still be in the stack waiting for me to get to it. You can check and make sure your assignment is in the Storybook stack here. Please make sure you wait to get my Week 2 comments back before you move on to the Week 3 Storybook assignment, and if you turned in Week 3, please wait on my comments before you move on to Week 4. I hope to read and reply to all the assignments that have been turned in by the end of the day on Wednesday!

January 28: William Butler Yeats. Today marks the anniversary of the death of the great Irish poet, William Butler Yeats, who died on this day, January 28, in the year 1939. You can read more about Yeats' life and career in this Wikipedia article. Those of you in the World Lit. or Myth-Folklore course may have encountered William Butler Yeats in your research for the class so far, because Yeats was a crucial figure in the revivial of Irish popular culture in the 19th century and you can find many of his works online at the Sacred Texts Archive. The image below shows Yeats' gravestone in a cemetery in Drumcliff, County Sligo, Ireland; the simple inscription - "Cast a cold Eye / On life, on Death. / Horsemen pass by!" was what Yeats himself asked to have carved on the stone.