Thursday, February 12

Today is Thursday of WEEK 3 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 3 Storybook assignment yet, you have until noon today to turn that in for partial credit. For those of you in Myth-Folklore or World Lit, Thursday morning, until noon, is also the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Wednesday. (Indian Epics has no Wednesday assignments, so there is no Thursday morning grace period.)

Writing Center. As you start working on your Storybook Introduction this week, and for all your future Storybook assignments, you are expected to turn in a formal piece of writing, with correct English usage, spelling, and punctuation. If you would like some extra help with that, make a visit to the Writing Center where you can get free assistance. Whether you need a refresher course on English punctuation or some help in learning how to proofread your own work, the Writing Center is the place to go! For hours and services, visit the Writing Center website. Note that they have a NEW LOCATION this semester: they are no longer in Bizzell, but have moved to the new Wagner Student Academic Services Center.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment before noon on Monday, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in on Monday after noon or on Tuesday or Wednesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it (contents of the stack). If you want comments back from me on an assignment before the weekend, make sure to get it turned in by Friday at noon at the latest.

My schedule today. Normally I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays - but this week I've ended up having to schedule my out-of-office appointments on Thursday instead. So, that means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails today because I'll be out of the office for at least part of the day - but if you send me an email during the day on Thursday, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

Coverpage color schemes. One of the best things you can do with your coverpage is to find a background color to complement the image that you have chosen. There are lots of tools you can use for finding colors. In addition to the color wheel in Composer, you might enjoy using this online tool: Dynamic Color Picker. This allows you to find the "hex code" for a color, which you can then enter into the Format - Page Colors screen in Composer. Make sure you choose Text, Link, and Visited Link Text colors to go with your Background Color choice! You can find out more about that here: Background Colors in Composer. Here are some examples of Coverpages with a background color that complements the main image; click on the link to visit the actual coverpage: