Thursday, February 19

Today is Thursday of WEEK 5 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 4 Storybook assignment yet, you have until noon today to do that for partial credit. Thursday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Wednesday or on Tuesday (because of the Desire2Learn outage).

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in - of all the weeks in the semester, this is the slowest week for me because the Introduction is usually the hardest part of the Storybook for people to write, and it takes me a lot more time to send back comments. But don't worry: I'll get through the stack before the weekend, I promise. If you turned in an assignment on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it - you can check and make sure I have your assignment by looking at the contents of the stack here.

Desire2Learn Maintenance. They are going to try to do some more maintenance on the Desire2Learn computer system on Thursday morning from 7AM until 8AM. Normally, IT is very good about getting the system up and running at the scheduled time, but if there are delays, you can check the alerts.ou.edu website for the latest information. You should not have any trouble logging on to Desire2Learn after 8AM.
UPDATE: Desire2Learn is back up and running normally! :-)

My Thursday schedule. My schedule this week is a bit unusual and it looks like I will be away from my computer for at least part of the day today, Thursday. That means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails today than usual, but if you send me an email during the day today, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

February 19: Fat Thursday. You've probably all heard about the pre-Lenten festival of Mardi Gras ("Fat Tuesday"). In many countries, there is a similar festival celebrated on the last Thursday before Lent, and it is called "Fat Thursday" - Tłusty czwartek in Poland, Fetter Donnerstag in Germany. As I learned in Poland, this is a day for the eating of the marvelous Polish pączki, delicious jelly-filled donuts. Yummm! You can read more about the holiday in this Wikipedia article, which is also the source for this delectable image of Polish pączki: