Tuesday, September 8

Today is Tuesday of WEEK 3 of the class.In Indian Epics, this week you will be finishing up Narayan's Ramayana, and in World Literature you will be reading New Testament parables. In Myth-Folklore, it's the Hebrew Bible, with a choice between the story of Noah, or the stories of Samson and Daniel. If you have not turned in your Week 2 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. (See note about that below.)

Storybook Stack. On Tuesday morning, I'll start working my way through the HUGE stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in over the long weekend. If you want to check and make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. I read the assignments in the order that they are turned in, so the later you turn in the assignment, the longer you'll need to wait to get the comments back. It usually takes me all week to get comments back on all the Storybook assignments people have turned in. In fact, this is the main part of my job teaching online: I spend about 30 hours each week reading the Storybook assignments! :-)

Late Storybook assignments. Each week, the Storybook assignment is the only assignment that can be turned in late for partial credit. Since I cannot get all the Storybooks graded and returned immediately, it is okay with me if you turn in the Storybook late. A Storybook assignment turned in on Monday after noon can receive up to 9 points credit; if it is turned in on Tuesday, you can get up to 8 points of credit, up to 7 points on Wednesday and up to 6 points on Thursday. The absolute deadline for turning your Storybook assignment for partial credit is noon on Friday, when you can get up to 5 points of partial credit.

Adding Images to Your Webpages. Congratulations to everybody who published their first webpages! For the Week 3 Internet assignment, you will be adding images to your pages. Again, as with last week's assignment, please try to do this early in the week if it is your first time creating and publishing webpages. I am available during the week to help you if you run into any snags as you add images to your pages and publish them.

September 8: Star Trek begins. Yes, today is a great day in the history of television - it marks the broadcast of the first episode of the original Star Trek series in 1966, a series which ran for three seasons until June 3, 1969. My devotion to Star Trek began in 1972, when the show was in reruns and I was able to watch every afternoon when I came home from school (I was in third grade). I have never lost my love of that show and I can shamelessly confess to owning the complete original series on DVD. Anyway, it was a breakthrough show for television in so many ways, and if you're interested in catching some of the spirit of the old show, I highly recommend the 1986 movie, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, a wonderful feature film written and directed by Leonard Nimoy, who plays Mr. Spock, the one with pointy ears here in this cast photo from the original series: