Wednesday, September 23

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 5 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 4 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

Week 5 Internet assignment. If you did not read yesterday's announcements, make sure you take a look at those announcements now, especially the information about the Week 5 Internet assignment which is available now!

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment on or before Sunday at 9PM, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in after 9PM on Sunday or on Monday or on Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. If you want to check and make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here.

My Wednesday schedule. I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays. This Wednesday, I'll be away for part of the morning, but should be back in the afternoon and available to answer any email questions promptly!

September 23: Wilkie Collins. Today, September 23, marks the death in the year 1889 of the great English writer, Wilkie Collins. Although Collins is less well known today than his famous colleague and friend, Charles Dickens, he was a very popular writer, and his novels are the first modern mystery thrillers (they were called "sensation novels" at the time). You can read more about Wilkie Collins in this Wikipedia article. My favorite of his novels is The Woman in White: