Wednesday, January 27

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 2 of the class. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

My Wednesday schedule. I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays. This Wednesday I will probably be away from my desk in the late morning and early afternoon. That means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails on Wednesday than on the other days of the week - but if you send me an email during the day on Wednesday, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

Storybook Stack. I'm still making my way through the stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment before 10PM on Sunday, you should have comments back from me. If you turned in an assignment after 10PM on Sunday or on Monday or Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack. If you want to check to make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. Remember: save the emails I send you back about your Storybook assignments. My comments are marked with ==> in the body of the email, and you will need those comments when you go on to the next week's assignment. I promise to reply to everybody by the end of the week - but when you turn in an assignment on Sunday or later, the stack is very big, and it takes me all week sometimes to get through it.

Image files and webpages. Especially for those of you using Composer to publish webpages this week, it is VERY IMPORTANT for you to resize the image if you are starting with a super-huge image file, like the kind of image file you might have from your own digital camera. You have a very limited amount of webspace provided by OU and a single humongous image can use up half or more of your allotted space. You can get extra credit for learning how to resize images - it's a Tech Tip! :-)

January 27: Holocaust Remembrance Day. The day of January 27, the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp, has been designated by the United Nations and many other countries as a day in remembrance of those who died in the Nazi Holocaust of World War II. The person I hold in my special remembrance for this day is Janusz Korczak (Wikipedia), a visionary educator of the 20th century, who organized the Jewish orphanage in the Warsaw Ghetto. In 1942, the Nazis raided the orphanage and sent the children to the death camp at Treblinka. Although Korczak's Polish friends begged him to escape and hide with them for the rest of the war (Korczak was a famous radio celebrity in Poland before the war), he would not leave the children, and died together with them at Treblinka. This image from shows the Yad Vashem Memorial for Korczak and his children: