Thursday, February 18

Today is Thursday of WEEK 5 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 4 Storybook assignment yet, you have until noon on Thursday to turn that in for partial credit. For those of you in Myth-Folklore or World Lit, Thursday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Wednesday.

Storybook titles. On Friday afternoon, I will be updating the list of Storybooks one last time before the weekend. So, if you have not sent me your Storybook address yet, make sure you do that! Also, if you want to change the title I have listed, now is the time to do that - but keep it short, okay? You can display any title you want on your coverpage, but for the class list I need a title that is pretty short. You can see the Storybook lists here: World Literature - Myth-Folklore - Indian Epics.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in - of all the weeks in the semester, this is the slowest week for me because the Introduction is usually the hardest part of the Storybook for people to write, and it takes me a lot more time to send back comments. But don't worry: I'll get through the stack before the weekend, I promise. If you turned in an assignment on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it - you can check and make sure I have your assignment by looking at the contents of the stack here.

Week 5 Internet assignment. If you did not read the previous announcement about the Week 5 Internet assignment and the Ning Comment Walls, make sure you take a look at those announcements now - you can even get extra credit for making your Comment Wall ready for visitors, both by making some more room on your Ning page, and also by adding a YouTube video to your page if you want, just for fun!

February 18: Nikos Kazantzakis. Today marks the birthday of the Greek poet and novelist, Nikos Kazantzakis, who was born in 1883. You may know him as the author of the book The Last Temptation of Christ - but his special significance for those of you in the Myth-Folklore or World Literature classes is that he wrote a continuation of the Odyssey, a modern epic poem picking up where Homer left off - The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel. You can read more about his life and career in this Wikipedia article. Here is a photograph of the inscription on Kazantzakis's tomb - it's in modern Greek, but those of you who have studied ancient Greek will understand a lot of this: Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα, Δε φοβούμαι τίποτα, Είμαι λέφτερος (I hope nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.)