Friday, March 12 - Sunday, March 21: SPRING BREAK

HAPPY SPRING BREAK! You have reached the end of Week 8 of the semester, which means the semester is more than half-way over - and it is time for Spring Break! The Week 8 Read and Respond assignment (blog commenting) is available now, along the other end-of-week assignments for Week 8, but they are not due until the weekend after Spring Break - with the grace period on Monday, March 22, as usual.

Storybook Stack. If you turned in a Storybook on or before Monday, you should have comments back from me and points recorded in the Gradebook. If you turned something in on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, or on Friday morning, I will get comments back to you on Friday, before Spring Break. During Spring Break, I won't be reading any Storybook assignments, so if you turn something in during Spring Break, it will go into the stack and I'll update the contents of the stack first thing on Monday morning, March 22. Anything that comes in after noon on Friday will go into the after-Spring-Break stack.

My Spring Break schedule. Over Spring Break, my email access will be extremely limited because I'll be traveling. If you have questions or run into a problem, send me an email and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

Working ahead on your Storybook. (repeat announcement) If you want to work ahead on your Storybook, please do so! You can actually write the second and third and fourth stories over Spring Break if you want, and have them all lined up and ready to go. Your second story is due during Week 8 (right after Spring Break), with the third story in Week 10, and then the fourth and final story in Week 12 - but there is no reason why you should wait if you are wanting to get ahead in the class. Especially for those of you who want to finish up the class early, getting ahead on your Storybook project is one of the best ways to do that.

Fall 2010 enrollment. (repeat announcement) I know that many of you are graduating this spring (congratulations!), but for those of you who will be in school next year, I wanted to give you a chance to reserve a place in one of these online classes for Fall, if you are interested. The online courses all fill up very fast, but if you let me know BY WEDNESDAY MARCH 24 that you would like to take one of these classes in the Fall, I will reserve a space for you. You can get more information about each of the three classes at MythFolklore.net, which links to the websites for each class.

Writing Tips - WOW, what a great list! (repeat announcement) There was recently a fantastic article in the London Guardian with writing tip lists from some famous writers, including Elmore Leonard and Margaret Atwood. One of my favorites is this one: Reread, rewrite, reread, rewrite. If it still doesn't work, throw it away. It's a nice feeling, and you don't want to be cluttered with the corpses of poems and stories which have everything in them except the life they need. Plus, I really like this one about how the rules for writing and the rules for life probably have a lot in common: The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you're allowed to do whatever you like. That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it's definitely true for writing.

CELEBRATE SPRING WITH HAIKU!