Wednesday, April 14

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 12 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 11 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

UPDATE:
MythFolklore Ballad audio recordings. For the Child Ballad audio recordings, I had to update the links on Wednesday morning, due to a reorganization of the Max Hunter Folk Song Archive at Missouri State University. If you looked at any of the class reading pages previously, you may have to press REFRESH in your browser to get the corrected version of the page to load. If you notice any of the links not working, let me know! I think they are all corrected now and my apologies for any trouble this may have caused if you were trying to access the recordings on Tuesday.

Storybook stack. There are still quite a few assignments in the Storybook stack. If you turned in your assignment on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now. Assignments turned in on Monday or on Tuesday are probably still in the stack. You can check the contents of the stack to make sure I have received your assignment. If the points you will be getting for the Storybook assignment(s) you have turned in will give you the points you need for your final grade in the class, send me a separate note to let me know and I'll move your assignments to the top of the stack.

Grading and points. (repeat announcement) As you can see in the Grading Information page, you need 410 to get an A, 360 points to get a B, and 320 points to get a C. When you get the number of points you need, you are done! It is fine with me if you decide to stop doing work for the class whenever you have the grade you want to receive. My only request is that you please let me know when you are done so I can adjust the comment assignments accordingly!

My Wednesday schedule. I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, while scheduling any out-of-office commitments on Wednesdays. So today I'll be away for part of the day, but I should be back in the afternoon and available to answer any email questions by the end of the day.

April 14: Ramana Maharshi. Today marks the anniversary of the death in the year 1950 of the great Indian guru, Sri Ramana Maharshi. You can read more about his life and career in Wikipedia, which also has a section of quotations from his works and teachings - for example, here's one about how getting to know yourself is like wearing a pair of shoes for the soul: "Wanting to reform the world without discovering one's true self is like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes." There's even a Ramana Maharshi comic book in the famous Amar Chitra Katha series of comic books as shown below: