Wednesday, August 25

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 1 of class. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday. You must complete the Tuesday assignments if you want to remain in this class, so please make sure you finish up all your Tuesday assignments by noon today at the latest!

Class announcements. You should be reading the class announcements every day. If you miss a day, you can read the previous announcements at the Announcements blog. You can also subscribe to the Announcements by email if you want. You will also see the current announcements displayed automatically inside the Ning and also inside Desire2Learn.

Your Ning Settings. A few of you still have the default Ning "blue question mark" as your image. You will need to change that to something else - either a picture of yourself, or some other picture (a picture of your pet, as some people have done), or an image (cartoon characters are great!), or anything at all really - whatever you want to use to represent yourself here at the Ning. Also, if you used your dotted-name OU email address for your Ning account and want to change that to your regular OU email alias (or any other email address you prefer), you can do that! Just follow these instructions for Updating Your Ning Settings. If you have any other questions about using the Ning, please let me know.

You REALLY can call me Laura
. As I mentioned in yesterday's announcements, you can just call me Laura - really! As you've probably seen, I sign all my emails to you as "Laura," which is definitely what you can call me. I'm actually not a professor (just an instructor) - and since I'm going to be calling you all by your first names, it makes sense that you just call me by my first name also. :-)

Early Storybook assignments. As those of you who are working ahead turn in your Storybook assignments, I will get those back to you either that same day or the next day at the latest. You can check at this webpage to make sure I have received your assignment: Storybook stack. For each Storybook assignment you turn in, you'll get comments back from me by email and that is also when I will record the points for you in the Gradebook.

August 25: Birthday of Walt Kelly. The American cartoonist, Walt Kelly, most famous for his Pogo cartoons, was born today, August 25, in 1913. You can read about Walt Kelly's life and career in this Wikipedia article. You might be interested to know, for example, that he worked at Disney and contributed to the classical animated films Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, and Dumbo! The image below is from his Animal Mother Goose book, in which Kelly illustrated the traditional Mother Goose nursery rhymes with animal characters (click here for a larger version of the image), as here, where "Little Johnny Green" is an alligator, and "Little Johnny Stout" is an elephant!