Thursday, September 23

Today is Thursday of WEEK 5 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 4 Storybook assignment yet, you have until noon on Thursday to turn that in for partial credit. For those of you in Myth-Folklore or World Lit, Thursday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Wednesday.

Storybook titles. On Friday afternoon, I will be updating the list of Storybooks one last time before the weekend. So, if you have not checked on the way your Storybook title is listed on the class list, please make sure you do that! Here are the class lists: Myth-Folklore, World Lit, Indian Epics. Let me know if you'd like me to change the way your title is listed there. I've also put up some notes that explain the many different options for displaying your title on your GoogleSites website, along with some other GoogleSites tips.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in - of all the weeks in the semester, this is the slowest week for me because the Introduction is usually the hardest part of the Storybook for people to write, and it takes me a lot more time to send back comments. If you turned in an assignment on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it - you can check and make sure I have your assignment by looking at the contents of the stack here. I will do my best to respond to everything in stack before the weekend, but sometimes during this week I end up doing schoolwork on Saturday - we'll see how it works out this semester! I'm doing my best to get everything returned before the weekend.

Internet assignment - Ning Comment Wall. If you did not read the previous announcement about the Week 5 Internet assignment and the Ning Comment Walls, make sure you take a look at those announcements now - you can even get extra credit for making your Comment Wall ready for visitors, both by making some more room on your Ning page, and also by adding a YouTube video to your page if you want, just for fun!

September 23: Autumnal equinox. Today, September 23, marks the autumnal equinox (it took place at 3:09 this morning in fact!), when the day and night are of equal length, as the days are getting shorter. You can read about the astronomical details of the equinox at Wikipedia, and in the Wiccan "Wheel of the Year," the fall equinox is celebrated as the holiday of Mabon (if you are somewhere in the southern hemisphere, it is the spring holiday of Ostara). You can see here where the equinox takes its place on the wheel with its eight holidays: