Thursday, February 10

Today is Thursday of WEEK 4 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 3 Storybook assignment yet, you have UNTIL NOON TODAY to turn that in for partial credit. For those of you in Myth-Folklore or World Lit, Thursday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Wednesday.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in a Week 3 Storybook by Monday at noon, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in later on Monday or on Tuesday or Wednesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. If you want to check and make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. I should be able to get through the remaining items in the stack by the end of the week. If you want comments back from me on a Storybook assignment, make sure you turn that in by Friday at noon. If you turn something in before noon on Friday, I will do my best to get comments back to you before the weekend!

My Thursday schedule. I do most of my work during regular business hours on Monday-Tuesday and Friday, while scheduling my out-of-office commitments each week, usually on Wednesday or Thursday. This week, I am going to be out of the office for part of the day on Thursday. That means I may be a bit more slow to respond to your emails today than on the other days of the week - but if you send me an email during the day today, I'll definitely get back to you by the end of the day.

Writing Center and Grammar Review. As you start working on your Storybook Introduction for Week 4, and for all your future Storybook assignments, you are expected to turn in a formal piece of writing, with correct English usage, spelling, and punctuation. If you would like some extra help with that, make a visit to the Writing Center where you can get free assistance. Whether you need a refresher course on English punctuation or some help in learning how to proofread your own work, the Writing Center is the place to go! For hours and services, visit the Writing Center website. You can also work on specific problem areas (commas, apostrophes, and run-on sentences are the most common problems people have) by reviewing these topics and then taking some extra credit Grammar Quizzes.

February 10: Sadequain. Today, February 10, marks the anniversary of the death of the great Pakistani painter and calligrapher, Sadequain, who died in 1987. You can read about his life and works in this Wikipedia article and at the Sadequain Foundation website, where you can find examples of his calligraphy (as below), along with paintings, murals and other artwork. Calligraphy has a special place in the Islamic tradition; you can read more about Islamic calligraphy at Wikipedia.