Wednesday, September 12

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 4 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 3 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

Storybook comments. Please make sure you look for my comments in the emails I send back to you; in addition to comments at the top of the email, there are comments marked with ==> in the body of the email. Please read through all the comments in the email and if you have any questions, definitely write and ask me! You should save these emails, too, since you will be working on the Storybook all semester and you might need to look back at a past email to get some information to help you with a later Storybook assignment.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the large stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment on or before Sunday at 9PM, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in later on Sunday night or on Monday or Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. If you want to check and make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. I reply to the assignments in the order that they are turned in, so if you want comments back earlier, try to turn your Storybook in on Saturday - you will get comments back much sooner. About 50 people usually turn in their work every Sunday; it takes me a few days to get through that big stack!

Writing Tip Wednesday. Last week, I shared some writers-on-writing videos (Writers Talking Writing). This week, I want to share with you a page on Writing and Proofreading that I created last semester, collecting the best tips that the writers I know had to offer for proofreading. So, I hope you all might find some new tips in that long list of proofreading tips - and if you have any tips to add to the list that are not there already, let me know!

September 12: Lascaux caves. September 12 marks the anniversary of the discovery in 1940 of the amazing prehistoric cave paintings found at Lascaux in France. The cave walls were decorated with upwards of two thousand images, including hundreds of animals. You can read more about the Lascaux cave paintings in this Wikipedia article, which is also the source for the image shown below. The paintings are estimated to date to approximately 16,000 years ago, during what used to be called the "Stone Age" (Upper Paleolithic, a period of human culture that lasted from around 40,000 BCE to 10,000 BCE). As you can see, the paintings are truly beautiful and very dramatic... although, without recorded language, we will never know just what stories the paintings commemorate.