Wednesday, September 5

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 3 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 2 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

Storybook Stack. I'm still working my way through the enormous stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment on Saturday, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in later on Sunday or on Monday or Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. If you want to check to make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. Because this is a four-day work week, it will take at least until Friday for me to reply to everybody. Please wait to get my comments before you go on to the next Storybook assignment - although you can certainly keep working ahead on other assignments in the class while you wait!

Tech Tips emails. Quite a few people sent in Tech Tip emails over the weekend, which is great. I'll reply to all those emails, but not until I get through the Storybook stack. You don't need to wait on my reply before you do another Tech Tip - just keep on going! The same goes for your Week 2 Internet assignment; if you want to keep on working ahead and move on to the Week 3 Internet assignment, please do so - you don't need to wait on my reply to your Week 2 email.

Writing Tip Wednesday. Last week, I shared some tips from the world of business writing (10 Tips on Writing from David Ogilvy). This week, This week, I wanted to share a YouTube video gallery - Writers Talking Writing - which includes interviews with Suzanne Collins, Neil Gaiman, Cornelia Funke and more! Is there a YouTube video interview with one of your favorite writers? If so, let me know.

Wednesday Events on Campus. From 3:30PM-4PM, Career Services will be offering an "Ace the Interview" workshop in the Sooner Room of the Union, first floor, by Crossroads (time/location/details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

September 5: Arthur Koestler. Today marks the birthday in 1905 of the Hungarian writer Arthur Koestler (he died in 1983). Koestler is most famous as the author of Darkness at Noon, a novel published in 1940 that was inspired by the Stalinist "show trials" of the 1930s. It's a fantastic book; I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of Eastern Europe - and also to fans of George Orwell's novel 1984, which was inspired in part by Koestler's novel. You can read more about Koestler in this Wikipedia article, and Darkness at Noon also has a Wikipedia article of its own.