Week 13 UnTextbook Report

Here is a report on the UnTextbook reading selections people made in Week 13 of the class, the first of two weeks of European stories.

First, here are the number of ratings and the average of those ratings — with so few ratings, though, I wouldn't make too much of the averages, but over time this is going to be incredibly helpful to me as I learn more about which units are proving more successful, which units need improvement, etc. So, 5 is "excellent," 4 is "very good," 3 is "good," 2 is "okay," 1 is "did not enjoy."

European units: 83 total. Here are the results from the first week of the European units. I am really glad people enjoyed these units!

5.0 (2 ratings)Brothers Grimm (Hunt)
5.0 (1 rating)Europa's Fairy Tales
5.0 (1 rating)Kalevala
4.7 (3 ratings)Brothers Grimm (Crane)
4.7 (3 ratings)Italian Tales
4.5 (6 ratings)Brothers Grimm (LibriVox)
4.5 (4 ratings)Russian Folktales
4.5 (2 ratings)Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)
4.5 (2 ratings)La Fontaine
4.2 (6 ratings)Dante's Inferno
4.0 (3 ratings)Andersen
4.0 (2 ratings)Heptameron

Below are some responses to the comments people made, and I am SO GRATEFUL for all this feedback. Because the comments you make in the Google Form are anonymous, I cannot reply to people individually, and I'm thinking these replies might be of general interest anyway — and you might want to check out my replies to previous comments too. There were not a lot of new types of comments different from previous weeks, but here is what I found specifically for these units:

Brothers Grimm (Librivox). I need to add a note to the Rapunzel story about the origin of the name Rapunzel!

Italian Tales. Someone suggested how it would be fun to create some "compare a story across cultures" units (Three Goslings, Three Little Pigs, etc.), and that is definitely something I hope to do next summer, adding some thematic and comparative unit options to the single-source options that are available right now!

Dante's Inferno. I need to add a map of the Inferno to this unit, along with links to synopses of Purgatory and Paradiso.