Thursday, August 21

Today is Thursday of Orientation Week. Thursday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you did not finish the assignments that were due on Wednesday, and you also have some assignments due today: it's time for class Introductions, and you'll also be browsing through past Storybooks to find some favorites!

Class Procedures and Reminders

Class Blog Directory. Thanks so much to everybody for getting your blogs up and running: it is pretty amazing to see how that is all coming together — wow! So, I've made the Class Blog Directory. Please check to make sure that I've got the correct link for your blog and that I have listed your name the way you prefer. (I've figured out some people's nicknames, but I might have missed some!)

Proofreading/Storybook Stack. Some of you have already turned in the Proofreading assignment that is due later this week, and some people are even doing Storybook assignments for Week 2 now, which is great! Those are assignments that you send to me via email, and I then write you back with comments. My goal is to get those returned to you the day after you turn them in, depending on how many assignments there are in the stack. You can check to make sure I received your assignment here: The Stack. Email is not always 100% reliable, but this way you can check to make sure I've got your assignment because you will see your name in the Stack, and then when your name disappears, that means I've sent you the comments. I'll include a link to the Stack in each day's announcements.

Twitter Stream. I just wanted to call everybody's attention to the Twitter stream for this class: OnlineMythIndia. You can see the latest items from this stream in the sidebar of the announcements, and you can also visit the Twitter page directly. I'm a big fan of Twitter for sharing news, links, and images. Since I'm online 9 to 5 every day for my job, I'm always finding things to share online, and you might find something of interest to you! There are also dedicated hashtags for the separate courses: #OU3043 for Myth-Folklore and #OU4993 for Indian Epics. I made "tagboards" for those (click on the links to see the tagboard). If any of you tweet using the hashtag for the class you are in, your tweet should show up on the tagboard too!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Grant Snider: Reading is Dangerous. Grant Snider is one of my favorite cartoonists on the subjects of reading, writing, and life in general! I'll be sharing several of his cartoons here in the announcements this semester, and I would urge you all to check out his website; it's marvelous: Incidental Comics.


Mythology Words in English: Today's mythology word in English is COLOSSAL. For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: Indian Horror Story: Tales of the Lingering Souls. This haunted house was owned by a mysterious man named Yash whose eerie portrait has presided over a series of grisly deaths that echo the episodes of the ancient epics.


FREE Kindle eBook: The Arabian Nights by Kate Wiggin and Nora Smith. Here is a link to the book at Amazon, and this blog post provides additional information about the contents of the book. Some of the stories from the Nights you will find here include Aladdin and also Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is A penny saved is a penny earned (an English proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. Being a penny-pinching person, I like this proverb!


Ramayana Image: Today's Ramayana image is Hanuman as he opens his chest to show how Rama and Sita are always in his heart. Those of you in Indian Epics will be meeting Hanuman next week!


Thursday Event on Campus: You can get a discounted FIT Pass for the Fitness Center and the pool also; the discounted passes are on sale from 6PM-10PM at the FIT Pass Event (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

August 21: Aubrey Beardsley. Today is the birthday of the great illustrator, Aubrey Beardsley, who was born on this day in 1872 and died at the young age of 25 in 1898 (he died of tuberculosis). Beardsley had a brilliant and unmistakable style; he is one of my favorites. You can see a collection of his art at the website ArtPassions, including his illustrations for the legends of King Arthur, such as this depiction of Morgan le Fay:



Note: You can page back through older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed.