Tuesday, February 3

Today is Tuesday of WEEK 4, and I've re-arranged the Declarations area in Desire2Learn so the new week is on top. Also, the Project commenting assignment for this week is now available! If you have not turned in your Week 3 Project assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit, and Tuesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you did not finish the Reading Diary that was due on Monday — and if you missed them yesterday, here's a link to Monday's announcements.

Class Procedures and Reminders

Tuesday Schedule. Today I've got an eye doctor appointment which means I'll be out of the office in the morning. Now, the last time I went to the eye doctor, I had to go have eye surgery the next day (I had a torn retina)... let's hope I don't have another one! If I'm out of action for a day or two this week, though, I'll get caught up this weekend. And for those of you who are extremely near-sighted (like me... I am SO near-sighted): don't skip your optometrist appointment! It's really important to get your eyes checked at least once a year!
Update: It took longer at the eye doctor than expected, but all is well and I'm back in the office now, so I'll get back to tackling the Project stack.

Project Stack. I'm still working my way through the HUGE stack of Project assignments that people have turned in over the weekend: contents of the stack. If you turned in your assignment on Friday or on Saturday before 3PM, you should have comments back from me. If you turned in something later on Saturday or on Sunday or Monday, it is probably still in the stack. Please wait on my comments before you go on to the next Project assignment; I'll be getting through the stack as promptly as I can! Meanwhile, you can keep working ahead on the other class assignments while you are waiting to hear back from me.

Late Project Assignments. Each week, the Project assignment is the only assignment that can be turned in late for partial credit (that's because I cannot get all the Project assignments returned immediately). If you want full credit (10 points) you must turn the Project assignment in on time, that is, over the weekend or during the grace period on Monday morning, but you can turn it in late up until Thursday noon; for information about partial credit, see the note at the bottom of the Project assignment page.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

The Joy of Tech-Meditation. If you are finding the semester becoming a bit stressful, get in touch with your inner computer.


Indian Words in English: Today's Indian word in English is CALICO, which comes from the town of "Calicut" on the Malabar coast of India; its modern name is Kozikhode. For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: Demigod Daycare. It is a special occasion at Demigod Daycare: the Muses themselves have come to tell stories to little Heracles and Perseus and the other children of the gods and goddesses!


FREE eBook: Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt. This blog post provides additional information about the contents of the book. These jataka tales are ancient Indian stories about the Buddha's previous births, and each jataka tale teaches a lesson, sort of like the parables of Jesus or the fables of Aesop. You can choose to read these jataka tales in Myth-Folklore during Weeks 4 or 5, and in Indian Epics, you will get a chance to read these stories in Weeks 6 or 7.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is The darkest hour is just before the dawn (an English proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. This is another one of those proverbs that is not literally true, but it expresses a metaphorical truth!


Ramayana Image: Today's Ramayana image is Ravana's Defeat: the twenty-armed Ravana loses his fight with Arjuna Kartavirya, King of the Haihayas, who has even more arms than Ravana, as you can see.


UPCOMING Event on Campus: I wanted to publicize an event coming this SATURDAY, February 7, at 7PM, which I thought might be of special interest to the students in the Indian Epics class: Dr. Nyla Ali Khan will be giving a talk about India and Pakistan at the West Wind Unitarian Church, 1309 West Boyd (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.



Note: You can page back through older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.