Sunday, March 8

Today is Sunday of Week 8. The blog commenting assignment, along with the Project commenting and the Project assignment, are due today. So, if you have not finished those up already, now is the time! And if you missed them, here's a link to yesterday's announcements.

Class Procedures and Reminders

Project Progress. In the D2L Gradebook, there is an item called "Project Progress." Over time, each person ends up on their own schedule based on whether they choose Storybook or Portfolio, if they miss a week or two or three, etc., extra revising, etc. If you are not sure what you have due, just check that item in the Gradebook, and let me know if you have any questions.

Assignment Stack. You can check the stack to make sure I received your Project assignment; I'll be updating the stack periodically over the weekend. I replied to all the assignments turned in before Friday, and on Monday I'll start responding to the assignments in the order they were turned in, starting with the ones from Friday.

My Mother's Death. As some of you know already, my mother passed away last week; I knew when I left that it was the end (she had arranged for hospice care earlier this year), and it meant a lot to her and to my father that I could be there, and it meant a lot to me also. Your patience during this difficult time is much appreciated. I've created a blog (of course) about what happened, and I know that some of you are future medical professionals, so it might be of interest, especially if you are concerned with end-of-life issues, a very important but sadly neglected part of the medical world: Omnibus Morituris.

Your Review Posts. I also way to thank you all so much for the many great ideas in the Review posts that you wrote last week! I'll be able to prepare a long list of improvements, both big and small, to make to the courses next semester thanks to the suggestions people shared there.

Indian Epics UnTextbook. I am also really glad that people are choosing to help me in exploring books to include in the Indian Epics UnTextbook! That is an extra credit option available every week for the rest of the semester, and I've added two new books for people to choose from as they write up their reviews: Bengal Fairy Tales and Shri Krishna of Dwarka. I'll be adding more books every week to the list for you to choose from if you want to do this extra credit option.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Writing Humor: Thesaurus Club. :-)


Mythology Words in English: Today's mythology word in English is VOLCANO, which comes from the name of the Roman god Vulcan (called Hephaestus by the Greeks). For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: When Brothers Cross Paths. You probably know the Winchester brothers from the TV show Supernatural, and you surely know the Brothers Grimm, so in this Storybook you can see what happens when the four brothers join forces.


FREE eBook: Mythical Monsters by Charles Gould. This blog post provides additional information about the contents of the book, which focuses on dragon legends.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is He that hunts two hares will catch neither (a French proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. It's a proverb about the dangers of multitasking!


Ramayana Image: Today's Ramayana image is Rama's Coronation. This is the last Ramayana image for the semester; I'll be starting with Mahabharata images tomorrow!


Sunday Event on Campus: There will be a performance of "Love Letters" by Rena Cook and Kim Josephson at 8PM in the Pitman Recital Hall of Catlett Music Center (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

March 8: Michael Hart. Today marks the birthday of Michael Hart, the founder of Project Gutenberg, one of the oldest and most important ebook libraries online. Sadly, Michael Hart died in 2011, but his legacy lives on in the amazing Project Gutenberg. You can read more about his life and achievements at Wikipedia, and the image below is from his obituary in The Economist. You are all the beneficiaries of Michael Hart's monumental accomplishment; I could not teach my classes without the great resources that it provides.



Note: You can page back through older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.