Tuesday, September 15

Today is Tuesday of WEEK 4, and I've re-arranged the Declarations area in D2L so the new week is on top. Tuesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you did not finish the Reading Diary that was due on Monday (that's Middle Eastern or Indian stories for Myth-Folklore, and a new Ramayana for Indian Epics).

Class Procedures and Reminders

My Schedule Today. I'll be out of the office for most of the day today, so I won't be able to respond to emails as promptly as I usually do. As soon as I get back to the office in the late afternoon, I'll be able to answer your emails.

Project Stack. I've read and replied to the Project assignments that were turned in on Saturday, so you should have comments back from me. If you turned something in on Sunday, it's probably still in the Stack, and you can check the stack to make sure I received your assignment. If you have not turned in your Week 3 Project yet, you can still do that! (Thursday noon is the absolute deadline for a project so that I can get comments back to you by the weekend.)

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Every Book is a TARDIS. I know I am not the only fan of Doctor Who in this class... and I know I'm not the only bookworm! :-)


Words to Watch: Today's words to watch out for are BARE and BEAR. For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: Janaki's Journal: Sita's Story in Her Own Words. After Sita returns to the earth, her twin sons find her journal, which relates the story of their mother's life as they had never heard it told before.


Free Book Online: Eastern Tales by Many Story Tellers by Laura Valentine. This blog post provides additional information about this book, which contains the marvelous legend of "The Seven Sleepers" along with other stories and legends from the Middle East.


India Comic Book: Krishna: Retold From The Bhagawat Puran. This blog post provides additional information about the comic book which is on Reserve in Bizzell Library. Those of you in Indian Epics have gotten a chance to learn about Rama, and in the Mahabharata you will be learning about Krishna, another one of Vishnu's human avatars.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is Every man has in his heart a lion that sleeps (an Armenian proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab.


Today's Video: Asato Maa. This is another one of the Vedic chants recorded by Ravi Shankar. You can read more about this ancient mantra at Wikipedia: asato mā sad gamaya, tamaso mā jyotir gamaya, mṛtyor māmṛtaṃ gamaya — from the unreal lead me to the real, from the darkness lead me to the light, from the dead lead me to the immortal.


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat watches others and learns from them: Let another's success inspire you. Details at the blog.


Event on Campus: The Hispanic Heritage Month Kickoff Celebration will take place in the Union Courtyard from 11AM - 1PM; come join the fun and enjoy the free food (details). You can find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.


September 15: International Dot Day. Thanks to Audra in Myth-Folklore, I learned about this holiday to celebrate creativity, courage, and collaboration as inspired by Peter Reynolds's book, The Dot. You can find out more at the TheDotClub.org website and at Twitter.



Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.