Saturday, October 17

Today is Saturday of Week 8. I hope you are having a nice weekend!

Class Procedures and Reminders

Assignment Stack. Much to my own surprise, I got through the Stack on Friday, so I was able to read and reply to all the assignments turned in last week. As always, you can check the stack to make sure I received your Project assignment; I'll be updating the stack periodically over the weekend. To get comments back sooner rather than later, turn in your assignment today — if you wait until Sunday to do that, you'll have a longer wait for comments back from me.

Reflections Posts. Thank you all so much for the Reflections post! I have been reading through those looking for some ideas about things I can do differently to improve the classes, both for this semester and also for next semester. I really appreciate it, and next semester's students are in your debt for the good ideas too!

Indian Epics Reading Options. During Weeks 9-14, there is a huge range of reading options for Indian Epics, and I will also be adding new options based on specific interests of specific students. To keep up with the new options I am adding check the latest entries in the Reading Guides blog. Whenever I add something new to the list of options, I'll be sure to feature that new content with a new blog post. I'm excited to see what you think of the different reading options!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Movies and States. I was born in the state of For a Few Dollars More, and I now work for the "University of True Grit."


Words to Watch: Today's words to watch out for are DOSE and DOZE. For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: India Travel Journal. This Storybook contains tales of India's natural wonders — from the river Ganges to the Vindhya Hills — and their mythological origins.


Free Book Online: The Real Mother Goose by Blanche Fisher Wright. This blog post provides additional information about this lovely book, including a long list of all the rhymes. This is the Mother Goose book that I read when I was little!


India Featured Book: Pradyumna: Son of Krishna by Usha Narayanan. This blog post provides additional information about this new reading option for Indian Epics. This is a brand-new book, published just this summer, and I am sure it would be of interest to anyone who is intrigued by Krishna and his family.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is A picture is worth a thousand words (an English proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. Now you know why I believe in having images in blog posts!


Today's Video: Uptown Funk: Unread Book. A work of genius: Uptown Funk for all of you book nerds (like me!) on Saturday night. I've got the lyrics here at the blog post.


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat reads a lot because... you can always learn more. Details at the blog.


Event on Campus: An announcement from Claire in Indian Epics: From 6PM to 2AM, Soonerthon, Engineers' Club, and Triangle are holding an Extra Life event in Sarkeys Energy Center 360/370. This is a gaming marathon charity event to raise money for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. If you just want to come out and play video games, it's $5 at the door and there will be FREE Hideaway Pizza (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.



Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.