Thursday, October 1

Today is Thursday of WEEK 6. Thursday morning until noon is the grace period if you did not finish the Storytelling that was due on Wednesday.

Class Procedures and Reminders

My Schedule. I will be out of the office for most of the day today, so I won't be able to respond to emails as quickly as I usually do — but write me with any questions you have, and I will get back to you when I return to my office. I should be able to get the blog commenting groups ready by 5PM as usual; I'll update this blog post when those are ready to go!
Update: The Week 6 random blog groups are ready, along with the extra credit option of reading some "Famous Last Words" posts. Enjoy!

Project Stack. If you turned in a project assignment on Sunday, you should have comments back from me now; I'm still working on the assignments turned in during the week. You can check the stack to make sure I received your assignment.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

United States of Horror Movies. Oklahoma is represented by Terror at Tenkiller, set at Lake Tenkiller in eastern Oklahoma.


Mythology Words in English: Today's mythology word in English is MORPHINE from the name of the Greek god Morpheus. For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: Epic Festivals of India. This Storybook is a "calendar of enchantment" which brings to life the stories and rituals of the festivals of Rama Navami, Hanuman Jayanti, Krishna Jayanti, and Diwali, the festival of lights.


Free Book Online: Philippine Folktales by Clara Kern Bayliss. This blog post provides information about the stories in this book which are organized by local traditions: Visayan, Tagalog, Bagobo, and so on — so many wonderful stories!


India Comic Book: Bheeshma: Selflessness Personified. This blog post provides additional information about the comic book which is on Reserve in Bizzell Library: it covers Bhishma's miraculous birth, along with his heroic life and death.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins (a Chinese proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. This is a proverb that is very funny if you take it literally, but it also has a nice metaphorical message too.


Today's Video: How The Monkey King Came To Be. Since some of you read about the Monkey King in Myth-Folklore this week, I thought you might enjoy this fun animated version of the story.


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat is a bilingual Latin-English cat: Errando discitur. ~ We learn by making mistakes.. Details at the blog. I know some of you are have taken Latin, so I thought you might enjoy this bit of Latin.


Event on Campus: The Oklahoma Fancy Dancers will perform as part of the Ruggles Native American Music series at 8PM in Sharp Concert Hall (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online. The photo below is from the Oklahoma Fancy Dancers' Facebook page.



Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.