Tuesday, January 26

Today is Tuesday of WEEK 2, and I've re-arranged the Declarations area in D2L so the new week is on top. If you have not done the first reading for this week yet, you need to do that today. Here is a link to this week's assignments.

Class Procedures and Reminders

My Schedule on Tuesday. I have an eye appointment this morning, so I will be out of the office from mid-morning until probably around 1PM or so. That means I will be less quick to respond to any emails you send me with questions, but I will catch up as soon as I get back to my desk from that appointment.

Comments. Thank you for the great job you did with the commenting this weekend! There are around 90 students in both of these classes combined, so there were over 400 comments popping up on all those blogs, and we now have a class blog network, with people all connected to each other. Isn't that cool? My goal is that everybody should have at least one comment on their Storytelling post each week. Most weeks you should get two comments, and some weeks you will have more than two, but the goal is for you to have at least one. If a series of coincidences leads to you not getting a comment on a storytelling post, let me know and I will be make sure to read the story and leave a comment, since I am part of the class blog network too! :-)

Project Stack. When people turn in their project emails, I add their name to the Stack, and then when I send back comments, I remove the name. That way you can know when I have received your email, and you will also know that you should have gotten an email back from me with comments. So, if you turned something in but don't have comments back from me yet, check the stack to make sure I received your assignment.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Caps Lockness Monster. You've all heard of the Loch Ness monster... and here's the Caps Lockness monster!


Words to Watch: Today's words to watch out for are COMPLEMENT and COMPLIMENT. For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: Dai Dreaming: A Collection of Birth Stories. This is the story of a midwife, or dai, who has watched the birth goddess herself, Shashthi, in vivid and dramatic dream visions, both beautiful and terrifying.


Free Book Online: Wonder Stories by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey. This blog post provides additional information about the contents of the book, which is a lovely children's book of Greek mythology. The illustrations are by Clara Burd.


India Featured Book: Vali: The Downfall of an Arrogant King. This blog post provides additional information about this reading option for Indian Epics. All of these comic books are on Reserve in Bizzell Library, and they make a great supplement to the Ramayana reading you are doing for class.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is Beware of Greeks bearing gifts (an English proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. This English proverb is inspired by the Latin poet Vergil and his account of the Trojan Horse as told in the Aeneid.


Today's Video: The Trojan War ("Tainted Love" by Soft Cell). The video today is also about the Trojan War, this time as interpreted by my friend Amy Burvall.


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat is not afraid of making mistakes: Sometimes, being wrong is the only way we can learn. Details at the blog.


Event on Campus: There will be a "Living Shakespeare" event at the Sam Noble Museum from 6:30-8:30PM tonight, starting with a catered reception at 6:30 and a panel at 7PM which will include a discussion of Shakespeare in India! (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.



Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.