OU-Texas Weekend: October 7-8-9

HAPPY WEEKEND! You have reached the end of Week 7, and I know some of you are traveling this weekend, so be safe!

Class Procedures and Reminders

My Schedule. I'll be at work on Friday to finish up the project stack, and then I'll be checking my email on and off over the holiday weekend. So, if you are doing some work for class and have any questions, let me know and I'll get back to you when I'm back online.

Finishing Week 7. After I finish the stack on Friday, I'll send around reminders about Week 7 projects. Because of the holiday, I extended the Week 7 project grace period. So, if you don't finish your Week 7 project this weekend, you can do that anytime Monday. (The other Week 7 assignments have the Monday morning grace period as usual.)

Week 8 Review Week. Next week, there's no new reading; instead, you'll find some review-and-reflect assignments. I hope those will be a good way to focus and get ready for the second half of the semester!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Angels, Dreams, and Hope. Some wise words from Neil Gaiman: A world in which there are monsters, and ghosts, and things that want to steal your heart is a world in which there are angels, and dreams, and a world in which there is hope.


Punctuation. The interrobang... the percontation mark... these are just two little-known punctuation marks that we could be using:


Words from India. This Sanskrit word refers to a circle or a wheel, and it is related to the Greek word kyklos, which gives us the English word "cycle." Find out more at CHAKRA.


Featured Storybook. This project is from the Myth-Folklore class: When Brothers Cross Paths. You probably know the Winchester brothers from the TV show Supernatural, and you surely know the Brothers Grimm, so in this Storybook you can see what happens when the four brothers join forces.


Free Book Online: Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love and Wisdom by Krishna Dharma. See the Freebookapalooza blog for links and the table of contents. And yes, this is the same Krishna Dharma whose Mahabharata I shared here earlier this week.


Words of Wisdom: Today's saying is Never tickle a sleeping dragon (the motto of Hogwarts). Find out more at the Proverb Lab. Rowling prepared a Latin version too: Draco dormiens numquam titillandus.


Today's Video: Mahabharata Meets Game of Thrones. This is yet another one of the fun and informative videos from Epified:


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat knows all about self-efficacy: Yes, I can! You can find out more at the Growth Mindset blog.


I'll be back with new announcements on Monday! And in the meantime... check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff.