Monday-Wednesday, April 10-11-12

Week 11 is now over... and Week 12 has begun. You can find the week's assignments at the Class Calendar.

Also, I'm out of town at a conference (see below) until Thursday, so these same announcements will remain up for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week.

Class Procedures and Reminders

My Schedule. I'm at a conference this week (it's really cool; I'll report back on that when I get home). and I'm leaving for the airport on Monday around noon.
Update: I'm off to the airport, and I managed to adjust the class calendar and modules to move us into Week 12, and the Week 12 Feedback assignment is also ready to go. The stack is updated for everything turn in during the grace period, and I managed to read and reply to projects turned in before Sunday. I'll get back to the stack when I return on Thursday; thank you for your patience with that this week! :-)

Email. While I'm gone I will have limited access to email at best. So, write me with any questions you have, but please be patient in awaiting a reply. If I can reply before Thursday, I will, but if not, I'll be back at work on Thursday morning and will catch up on your emails then.

Week 12 Projects. I'll read and reply to as many projects as I can on Monday morning, but I will definitely be slower this week than usual in returning project comments. Again, don't worry: if your project is still in the stack at the end of the day on Friday, you will get a "free pass" for the Week 12 project assignment, so you won't be held back in any way by my being slow with the comments this week.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Life. At the "Learn by H.E.A.R.T." blog, you'll find a new post with with words from Jack Kornfield:


Writing. Especially in the hectic last weeks of the semester, make sure you write stuff down.


Words from Mythology. From the Greek gods known as "Titans" we get the English word TITANIC.


Featured Storybook. This project is from the Indian Epics class: Mahabharata: The Heroes. Here you will meet two heroes: one Pandava, one Kaurava; Arjuna, Karna.


Free Book Online: Today's free book is Myths and Legends of All Nations by Logan Marshall. See the Freebookapalooza blog for links and the table of contents. It is not really "all nations" as the title claims, but it is an excellent collection of European myths and legends.


Words of Wisdom: Today's saying is For one whose foot is enclosed in a shoe, the whole surface of the earth is covered with leather (a proverb from India). Find out more at the Proverb Lab. This saying comes from the ancient collection of stories and proverbs known as the Hitopadesha.


Video: If you have 10 minutes to spend, this lovely video is a good way to spend them: Alike. You can find out more at the Facebook page for Alike.


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat is working hard and working smart: Effort is what makes you smart. You can find out more at the Growth Mindset blog.


Passover 2017. The Jewish holiday of Passover begins on Monday evening. You can read more about this holiday, which commemorates the exodus from Egypt under the leadership of Moses, at Wikipedia. The image below is an illustration from the Golden Haggadah. The Haggadah, or "narration," is the special book of prayers and stories used for Passover, and this beautifully illustrated Haggadah is a 14th-century manuscript from medieval Spain:


Some of you may have seen this video from last week when I shared it as an example of a "cumulative" story style, and I am sharing it again in honor of Passover. The embroidered animation is by Nina Paley (who did Sita Sings the Blues) and Chad Gadya or "One Goat" is a traditional Passover song. You can see how it works as a cumulative story in the final stanza: Then came the Holy One, and smote the angel of death, who slew the slaughterer, who killed the ox, that drank the water, that extinguished the fire, that burned the stick, that beat the dog, that bit the cat, that ate the goat.



I won't be updating the Twitter stream while I'm gone, but of course you can scroll through the previous tweets, and you can click here for past announcements.