Friday, September 14

HAPPY FRIDAY! Today is Friday of Week 4. Here is a link to the Week 4 assignments and also a link to Week 5 if you are ready to get a head start. You might have midterms coming up in your other classes soon, so getting ahead in this class could be a good strategy. :-)

Class Procedures and Reminders

Browser Word Count. If you're looking for a useful Tech Tip, you can install a word counter in your browser. Here are instructions for the Chrome Word Counter, and you can find something similar for other browsers I'm sure.

Project Stack. I've replied to all the assignments turned in on Sunday, and I'll finish replying to all the Week 3 assignments in the stack today, plus as many of the Week 4 assignments as I can. Meanwhile, you can check the stack to make sure I received your email.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Blog Stream. Jasmin has been making memes, and here is one with her Friday mood.


And she made one for Halloween already too, ha ha.


Featured Storybook. As you think about storytelling styles, you might enjoy this example of what happens when you add in a new character: My Brothers Grimm: The Diary of the Only Grimm Sister. You've never heard of Charlotte Grimm, but without her help, the Brothers Grimm would never have survived to write their famous collection of fairy tales.


Myth Video. Today's Myth video is a song from Hedwig and the Angry Inch about the Origin of Love.


India Video. And for some more music, here is Maati Baani's tribute to India's farmers: Saccha Mitr.


India Item. Now that all of you in Indian Epics have seen Hanuman in action, here is a Hanuman folk legend: The Ebony Tree.


Writing. Punctuation Personalities. I am mostly a semi-colon, with a dash of dash. What about you?


Emoticons have a history too, as you can see in this video from Mashable.


And here's a thought about teaching and learning from Ezra Bayda:


Growth Mindset Cats. This cat knows that learning is a multi-step process: I think. I design. I create. I invent. I reflect. I learn.


Event near Campus. It's the 2nd-Friday Art Walk from 6PM - 9PM tonight in downtown Norman (details).


Find out about campus events at the Campus Calendar online.

September 14: Typewriter ribbon. Today marks the anniversary of the day in 1886 when George Anderson of Memphis, Tennessee patented the typewriter ribbon. And yes, I learned to type on a manual Royal typewriter, complete with a typewriter ribbon. You can read an article about the history of the typewriter at Wikipedia. Below is an old Hermes typewriter — a good name: Hermes was the messenger of the Greek gods, and he also invented the Greek alphabet.



Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.