Sunday, September 13

Today is Sunday of Week 3. If you have not finished up the Week 3 assignments, you can do that today. Here's a link to Week 3, and Week 4 is ready to go too. :-)

Class Procedures and Reminders

Extra credit now for midterms. Some of you will probably have midterm exams starting up soon in your other classes; I know, that seems weird... but in classes with multiple midterms, they sometimes start up early. If you do some extra credit in this class now, you can build up your points so that you can take a week off in this class when things get intense in your other classes.

Call me Laura. As I mentioned earlier in the semester, please just call me Laura! I'm on a first-name basis with all of you, so it just makes sense for you to use my first name too. Really!

Project Stack. I'll update the stack periodically today so you can check the stack to make sure I received your project. The sooner you turn in your project today, the sooner you'll get comments back from me next week since I work through the stack in the order that things come in.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Blog stream. Thanks to Mikayla's research post on animals in Indian stories, I learned about this wonderful painting of Rama and Sita riding on Garuda (Garuda is the god Vishnu's vahana / vehicle).


I also wanted to thank everybody who's been contributing to the Connection Padlet; there is a lot of fun stuff there! It's kind of like a big group blog now.


Twitter stream. Here's something beautiful from the Gilcrease Museum Twitter: Keeper of the Fire by Benjamin Harjo Jr.


And from Sanjeev Khandekar at Twitter, here are Radha and Krishna:


Storybook. For the Storybook item today, I've got two new Storybook sites that are up and running, and this time, they are my Storybooks for the semester (I usually do one class, but this time I decided to try doing both). So I'm doing an Anansi project in Myth-Folklore, and a Ramayana project in Indian Epics.


100-Word Stories. And here's a story from India which features the elephant-headed god, Ganesha, and his mother, the goddess Parvati: Ganesha and the Cat


Plus another Crash Course myth video: Theories of Myth.


Some of you in Myth-Folklore have been reading Bible stories, so check out The Brick Testament: it's Bible stories told with Legos! Here is Moses is receiving the tablets with the Ten Commandments, for example:


And here's a different kind of story: Rock-Paper-Scissors... as a narrative: friends, murder, and revenge.


September 13: Noor Inayat: Today marks the death of Noor Inayat Khan in the year 1944, executed by the Nazis at the Dachau concentration camp. Noor Inayat wrote a beautiful book of Buddhist birth stories, Twenty Jataka Tales, and she was also an Allied SOE agent infiltrated into France to work with the Resistance. You can learn more about her life at Wikipedia, and here is the trailer for a recent film about her: Enemy of the Reich.



Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.