Wednesday, January 30

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 3 of the class. If you have not turned in your Week 2 Storybook assignment yet, you may still do that for partial credit. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you forgot to do any of the assignments that were due on Tuesday.

Storybook Stack
. I'm still working my way through the enormous stack of Storybook assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment on Sunday before 8PM, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in later on Sunday or on Monday or Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. If you want to check to make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. Please wait to get my comments before you go on to the next Storybook assignment - although you can certainly keep working ahead on other assignments in the class while you wait!

Google Sites websites. (repeat announcement) By the end of the week, I promise to get back to everybody about the Week 2 Internet assignments they turned in (practice Google Site website) - but in the meantime, you don't need to wait on my reply before you go on to the Week 3 Internet assignment, and if you run into any snags or questions about Google Sites, just send me an email and I'll be sure to get back to you!

Wednesday Events on Campus. There will be BINGO in the first floor lobby of the Union from 11:30AM to 12:30 PM - come by and try your luck! (time/location/details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

January 30: Assassination of Gandhi. On January 30 in 1948, Mohandas Gandhi was assassinated. The image below shows the memorial in New Delhi where Gandhi's body was cremated. If you look closely at the photograph, you will see some words written in Devanagari script, gold letters on the black stone, just behind the burning stick of incense: the words are "Hey Ram" (Oh Rama!), which were reportedly the words Gandhi uttered as he was shot. Gandhi's invocation of the god Rama will definitely mean something to the students in the Indian Epics class. Although it is a matter of some controversy as to whether those were Gandhi's last words, here is something he wrote in December 1947, just weeks before his assassination: "In the end it will be as Rama commands me. Thus I dance as He pulls the strings. I am in His hands and so I am experiencing ineffable peace.