Saturday, August 24

Today is Saturday of Week 1. Thank you all for your good work last week, and I hope the rest of your classes are off to a good start, too! The Read and Respond blog comment assignment along with the other end-of-week assignments for Week 1 (Orientation) are due today or tomorrow, Sunday.

My Weekend Schedule. I try not to do schoolwork on weekends, but I do check my email occasionally. So, if you have any questions or problems, definitely let me know, and if it's something urgent, I will get back to you as soon as I check my email. If you want to be sure I received an assignment you turned in by email, you can check the stack.

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Featured Resource: Grammar Lessons with Food. This is a really charming video which I thought you might enjoy! Yes, grammar can be fun! :-)


Featured Storybook: Greek Heroes: The Untold Tales. This is a Storybook with an ingenious ending - not all of the Storybooks build up to a dramatic conclusion, but this one does!


FREE Kindle eBook: Dracula by Bram Stoker. Here is a link to the book at Amazon, and this blog post provides additional information. If you have not read Stoker's classic novel (published in 1897) which led to an explosion of modern vampire fiction, it might be something you would enjoy!


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is When one door shuts, another opens (a Scottish proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab.


Weekend Events: The OKC Storytelling Festival continues today, Saturday, and there is also the Midsummer Nights' Fair in Lions Park in Norman. More details in Kate's OneSix8 blog.

August 24: Vesuvius. On this day in the year 79 C.E., Mount Vesuvius erupted, burying the Italian cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum in lava and ashes. You can read the dramatic details in this Wikipedia article, which is also the source for the image below, showing a computer-generated image of Vesuvius erupting:


Remember, you can page back through older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed.