Wednesday, September 23

Today is Wednesday of WEEK 5. Wednesday morning, until noon, is the grace period if you did not finish the Reading Diary that was due on Tuesday.

Class Procedures and Reminders

Project Stack. I'm still working my way through the enormous stack of Project assignments that people have turned in. If you turned in an assignment on Sunday before 6PM, you should have comments back from me now. If you turned something in later on Sunday or on Monday or Tuesday, it is probably still in the stack, waiting for me to get to it. To check to make sure your assignment is in the stack, you can see the contents of the stack here. I really will get through the stack by Friday, but as you can see, it takes me all week. To get comments back sooner rather than later, do your assignment on Saturday instead of waiting until Sunday; you will get comments back much more quickly that way.

You really can call me Laura! (repeat announcement) As I mentioned before, you really can call me Laura. No need to be formal and call me Dr. Gibbs, and since I'm not a professor, that title is actually not correct (more about that here). In any case, since I'm on a first-name basis with all of you, please do the same and just call me Laura. Really!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Taco Cat. Since they are serving tacos at the Tech Fair today (see below), I thought a cat palindrome was called for: TACO CAT.


Indian Words in English: Today's word from India in English is SHAWL, comes to English via Urdu and other Indian languages from Persian shal, meaning a type of shawl made in Kashmir (cashmere!) from the hair of a "shawl-goat." For details, see this blog post.


Featured Storybook: Rate My Rishi. If you've ever used RateMyProfessors.com, you'll feel right at home at Rate My Rishi, where the rishis' students, fans, and enemies sing their praises and dish the mythological dirt, too.


Free Book Online: Deccan Nursery Tales by C. A. Kincaid. This blog post provides additional information about the stories from India that you will find in this book; the "Deccan Plateau" makes up most of southern India, as you can see in this map at Wikipedia.


India Comic Book: Krishna and Jarasandha: Krishna Outsmarts His Fierce Adversary. This blog post provides a detailed reading guide for the comic book, which tells about one of Krishna's adventures that is part of the Mahabharata.


Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is When the house is built, the carpenter is forgotten (a proverb from India). Details at the Proverb Lab. I was glad I could find a photograph of carpenters in India to illustrate this Indian proverb!


Today's Video: Connected Learning TV. This is a new type of video for the announcements: I did my first-ever Google Hangout on Air yesterday as part of my friend Kim Jaxon's educational TV series about Connected Learning. It was weird and even a little scary; I've never done a live video Hangout before (as you can probably tell)... but it was fun to talk about these classes with other teachers. And now I know how to do a Google Hangout!


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat goes along with my learning a new skill today (Google Hangouts! whoo-hoo!): NOW is the time to start learning a new skill. Details at the blog.


Event on Campus: Come by the Tech Fair on the South Oval from 11AM - 3PM and find out about create.ou.edu and other exciting new tech projects going on at OU... plus tacos and snow cones too! (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.


September 23: Equinox. Today, September 23, is the autumnal equinox, so it is the first day of Fall; you can learn more about the astronomical details at Wikipedia. In the Wiccan "Wheel of the Year" (see image below), the arrival of Fall is celebrated as the holiday of Mabon, while in the southern hemisphere, it is the corresponding spring holiday of Ostara. You can also find out more about Mabon and Celtic mythology at Lauren's curation post from last week!



Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.