Spring 2016: ready to start early if you want!

Welcome to the SPRING SEMESTER, everybody! Classes begin officially on Tuesday, January 19 — and if you want a head start on the semester, the classes are up and running, with all the assignments for the first week and the second week ready to go.

New Year, new classes! I've made a lot of changes to both classes over the winter break, mostly thanks to great suggestions I received from last semester's students. If there is anything confusing about the instructions, broken links, something that just doesn't "fit" somehow, please let me know. There might be leftover fragments from old assignments, and the new assignments may have some rough edges that need smoothing. If you notice anything like that, let me know; you can contact me easily by email (laura-gibbs@ou.edu).

Getting Started. To get started, there is an Orientation Week with assignments to introduce you to the class and help you get familiar with the tools and websites you will be using. The Orientation Week is the same for both classes: Myth-Folklore (MLLL-3043) and Indian Epics (MLLL-4993).
Update: If this is your only online course, you do not need to do the CAS Online Orientation; I will cover all the orientation activities you need — you can ignore the email you received about the college's orietnation. If, however, you are taking this online class and some other online class, you'll need to do the college's orientation.
D2L. You will be using D2L for recording your points in the Gradebook. For the first assignment in the Orientation Week, you will learn how to "declare" your points for assignments in this class so that they show up in the D2L Gradebook. There was a big D2L maintenance update last week, but everything seems to be working fine. Still, keep a lookout for anything weird there, and if you run into any problems, let me know!

My Schedule. I try to be at work from 9-5 Monday through Friday, which means I will be quick to respond to emails during that time. I do check email in the evenings and on weekends, but I probably won't respond to those evening abd weekend emails unless it is something urgent. Meanwhile, If I am out of the office for some chunk of time during regular work hours, I'll include a note about that here in the announcements.

Daily Announcements. Starting on the official first day of classes, January 19, I'll be updating the announcements every day. If you want to subscribe by email so that you can get the announcements automatically when new ones arrive, see the "subscribe" box in the sidebar of the blog. Put in the email address you prefer, and then look for the "confirmation" email that you will get; check your spam folder if it does not show up right away (OU for some reason has a tendency to put the confirmation email in the junk folder).


Just for Fun: Here is a video I never get tired of — a Mister Rogers remix called Garden of Your Mind. I grew up watching Mister Rogers; his show started airing in 1968 when I was four years old... and as you get started with this class, you will probably see that the "Mister Rogers" approach to learning and sharing is a big part of who I am today. Enjoy!