Fall 2016: ready to start early if you want!

Welcome to the FALL SEMESTER, everybody! Classes begin officially on Monday, August 22 — and if you want a head start on the semester, the classes are up and running now.

Getting Started. To begin, click this Orientation link where you will find the list of assignments introducing you to the tools and websites you will be using for this online class. You need to complete the full week of Orientation activities by the due dates; as you'll see on the Orientation Week schedule, the first due date is Tuesday, August 23. If you run into any problems or have questions, let me know: laura-gibbs@ou.edu.

My Weekend Schedule. I don't check emails as often over the weekend, but on Sunday I'll try to keep an eye on my email in order to respond to any questions you have before classes really get going on Monday.

Canvas. Have you heard about the transition from D2L to the new program called Canvas? You'll be using Canvas for this class, and you may have some other classes using Canvas too. I hope you will like it! When you log on to Canvas.ou.edu, you will see this same Announcements page as the Canvas homepage.

Daily Announcements. Starting on the official first day of classes, August 22, I'll be updating the announcements every day. If you want to subscribe by email, use the "subscribe" box in the sidebar of this blog. Type in the email address you prefer and follow the instructions to confirm your subscription. Then, when the daily announcements start on August 22, you'll receive them by email each morning.

Twitter. Although there won't be new announcements until the official start of the semester, there will be new Twitter items which you can see in the sidebar of the blog or by going directly to the Twitter stream for this class: OnlineMythIndia. Twitter is a great place to connect with writers, storytellers, and musicians, along with museums and libraries; I find new things to share at Twitter every day!

Just for Fun: To finish up these early announcements, here is a video I never get tired of — a Mister Rogers remix called Garden of Your Mind. I grew up watching Mister Rogers; his show began way back in 1968 when I was four years old... and as you get started with this class, you will see that the "Mister Rogers" approach to learning and sharing is a big part of who I am today. Enjoy!