Friday-Monday, September 23-26

Update: I'm back at work as of now (around 11AM on Monday). I've updated the stack (it's huge, as always on Monday), so you can check there now to make sure I received your email. I also think I've responded to the questions that people emailed me over the weekend, but if I missed something, let me know!

~ ~ ~

Weekend Announcements. I'm out of town over the weekend, so these announcements will stay the same for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and then I'll update them when I get home on Monday afternoon... assuming Delta Airlines doesn't have another computer meltdown. See below for details, and Happy Weekend, everybody!

Class Procedures and Reminders

Comments and Feedback. The Week 5 blog comment groups are ready to go, plus you have Project Feedback comments this week too. For the blogs, you are in round-robin groups with two other people as usual; for the projects, you will be looking at the Portfolios of three different people in your class, two assigned and one free choice.

Week 5 Projects. Some of you have already finished your Week 5 Project assignment, which is great! For those of you who are turning in a Week 5 Project on Friday or over the weekend, you should have received an email from me on Thursday with information about what you have due for Week 5. Some people are adding a first story to their Portfolio while others are revising their first story, and those of you with Storybooks are adding your Introductions. I'm excited to see how that will all turn out!

My Schedule. I'm taking a quick trip out of town this weekend, leaving early Friday and coming back on Monday morning, so I should be back at work on Monday afternoon. I'll try to respond to emails while I'm gone, although my Internet access is going to be very limited. So, email me any questions you have, and I'll either get back to you over the weekend or on Monday afternoon when I'm back at work. Don't use Canvas messages; I will not be logging in to Canvas at all while I'm gone.

Project Stack. Since I'm not likely to have very much Internet access while I'm out of town, I'm not sure if I will be able to update the stack, but I will do my best. You can check the stack to make sure I received your assignment, and you'll also see when I last updated the stack. I'll be sure to get that fully updated as soon as I get back to my desk on Monday!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

Vocative Commas. This is a Minions variation on the Let's eat Grandma meme. For more on punctuation, see below!


Creative. Connect the dots... and get creative.


Words from India. You may be surprised that this word comes to English from India: JUGGERNAUT.


Featured Storybook. This project is from the Myth-Folklore class: Siren, City in the Clouds. Welcome to the world of Siren, a city in the sky, founded in the year 2433, which hovers on a floating island. It may be far away from the Earth, but the adventures of the city's inhabitants echo the fairy tales of Earth's ages-old storytelling traditions.


Free Book Online: Star-Names and Their Meanings by Richard Hinckley Allen. See the Freebookapalooza blog for links and the table of contents. This book is an encyclopedia of star names, and you can use the index at the end of the book if you are looking for a particular star.


Words of Wisdom: Today's saying is If my heart be narrow, what avail to me that the world is large? (an Armenian proverb). Find out more at the Proverb Lab. Empathy can help open your heart to that large world!


Today's Video: Are LOLCats and Internet Memes Art? This is a fun and thought-provoking video from the PBS Idea Channel.


Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cats are ready to create: The creative process starts with making observations. You can find out more at the Growth Mindset blog.


Event on Campus: As part of the UPB film series, Star Trek: Beyond is showing three times on Friday (6PM, 9PM and midnight as usual), AND it is also showing on Saturday at 1PM and 4PM (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.


September 24: National Punctuation Day: Saturday is National Punctuation Day! I thought that would be a good occasion to share this gorgeous infographic: 69 Rules of Punctuation (click to explore in detail). Plus, there's a fun NPR broadcast from last year's Punctuation Day: