Early Start for Fall Semester 2014: Ready to go!

Welcome to the Fall semester, everybody! If you want a head start on the semester, the classes are up and running, and the assignments for the first three weeks of class are ready to go. Classes begin officially on August 18.

Update: I'll be out of the office Thursday morning,
so I won't be responding to email during that time,
but I'll be back online sometime Thursday afternoon.

Big changes! I've made a LOT of changes to the classes this year. If there is anything confusing about the instructions, broken links, something that just doesn't "fit" somehow, please let me know. I'm guessing there might be leftover fragments from old assignments, and the new assignments may have some rough edges that need smoothing. If you notice anything like that, let me know; you can contact me easily by email (laura-gibbs@ou.edu).

Most of all, I am SO EXCITED about the new features of the classes this Fall. I hope you will find these new features exciting, too! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you will do with the new options that are available; I think it will be a semester of fun surprises for all of us.

Getting Started. To get started, there is an Orientation Week with assignments to introduce you to the class and help you get familiar with the tools and websites you will be using for this class. You can find the Orientation Week link along with other useful links at the class websites:
Desire2Learn. You will be using Desire2Learn for recording your points in the Gradebook. So, when you log on to Desire2Learn at learn.ou.edu, you will see this class, along with links to the class website. For the first assignment in the Orientation Week, you will learn how to "declare" your points for assignments in this class so that they show up in the D2L Gradebook.

My Schedule. I try to be at work from 9-5 Monday through Friday, which means I will be quick to respond to emails and Twitter queries during that time. I do check email occasionally in the evenings and on weekends, but I probably won't respond to those emails unless it is something urgent. Meanwhile, If I am out of the office for some chunk of time during regular work hours, I'll include a note about that in the announcements.

Just for Fun: Here is a video I never get tired of, a Mister Rogers remix called Garden of Your Mind. I hope you have had lots of time to grow some wonderful things in the "garden of your mind" this summer! As for me, I grew up watching Mister Rogers; his show started airing in 1968 when I was four years old... and as you get started with this class, you will probably see that the "Mister Rogers" approach to learning and sharing is a big part of who I am today!