Wednesday, October 21

Today is Wednesday of Week 9. Here is a link to Week 9, plus a link to Week 10 for people who are working ahead. I hope you are enjoying this week's reading!

Class Procedures and Reminders

Project Stack. I'm still working on the Week 7 stories in the stack; I'm hoping to finish those up today, and then I'll start working on the Week 8 items tomorrow. As always, you can check the stack to make sure I received your form.

Microfiction experiments. For those of you who are interested in microfiction, I've just published another book of 100-word stories, and I'm hoping people in class this semester will be interested in publishing an anthology together this semester. I'll have more news about that next week when we have another Story Lab. Meanwhile, here's my new book: it's two hundred tiny tales from the Sufi mystical tradition of Islam: Sufis.LauraGibbs.net. (It's free!)


The following items are for fun and exploration:

Blog stream. Here's a nice page layout at Helen's Storybook; she laid out the whole page like a two-column book page, with two columns of text and an image introducing a main character at the top of each column: Saint Giong, Dragon-Slayer.


Twitter stream. A thread of art from Svetlin Vassilev, a Bulgarian illustrator based in Athens, Greece. Here's his Daedalus and Icarus: wow!


And so much beautiful Goddess art for Navratri:


And the Goddess-as-Kali also:


Storybook. And a Kali Storybook from last year: The Birth of Kali.


100-Word Stories. Here's a story from the new Sufi book! It's an Islamic legend about Jesus (who is regarded as a holy prophet in Islam): Jesus and the Name of God.


Some math/writing humor from Tom Gauld ...perfect for math-nerd bookworms like me! (larger view)


From Allison Berryhill for #WhyIWrite yesterday:


And some writing nitty-gritty: Comma Types That Can Make Or Break a Sentence.


October 21: Ursula Le Guin. Today marks the birthday of one of my very favorite writers; she was in 1929, and she died recently, in 2018. You can read more about her at Wikipedia. She wrote so many good books, but I think my favorite will always be The Lathe of Heaven. What a brilliant book! Highly recommended.


Here is a video with her way back in the day: Exploring Creativity.



Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.