Thanksgiving Edition, Fall 2020

Welcome to THANKSGIVING BREAK. You have a whole week off in this class, which means the end-of-week assignments for Week 13 are due on Sunday, November 29, with a grace period on Monday morning as usual, November 30, after the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday week: stay safe, and rest up for the push to the end of the semester. I'm sure everybody is ready for a break! (I know I am!)

~ ~ ~

Week 13: Finishing up early. I set up a special option for this impossible semester to encourage people to finish up early: during Week 13, you can finish the class with 380 points for an A; 335 to finish with a B, or 300 to finish with a C. (After Week 13 is over, it goes back to the regular scale for the full 15-week semester: 410 for an A, 360 for a B, 320 for a C.) Hopefully lots of you can use this opportunity to finish early so that you will have more time to devote to the end-of-semester crunch and finals in your other classes. You can let me know you are done by filling out the "Finished!" form that you will see in the Canvas menu. 

Mix-and-match 13-14-15 all available. If you are interested in making a push to finish up now, you can use any of the assignments you see there in Canvas for Weeks 13, 14, and 15. All the points go into the same total, so feel free to choose the assignments that are most fun and or useful. 

Project stack. I have read and returned all the Week 12 projects that people turned in last week! I'll update the stack periodically over the Thanksgiving week, and then on Monday, November 30, I'll start replying to the project assignments that people have turned in over the break.

My schedule. I'm at home over the break, although I won't be checking email as often as during a regular work week. So, if you have any questions at all, let me know, and I should be able to reply to your email that same day.

Past announcements. If you want to browse the regular announcements, here are last week's announcements.

~ ~ ~

You might enjoy this article from the New York Times: Choose to Be Grateful. It Will Make You Happier by Arthur C. Brooks.


And here are some videos:

Gratitude by Louie Schwartzberg, featuring the words of Brother David Steindl-Rast.


And here is Brother David Steindl-Rast's TED talk: Want to be happy? Be grateful.



HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
When you have more than what you need,
build a longer table, not a higher fence.


And from India, here is a Thanksgiving kolam:



Check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day, or click here for past announcements.